The idea of electricity was slow to arrive to the nation’s rural areas, but when it did, it transformed rural society forever. Clark Energy Cooperative’s own history began when farmers from all across the country and their neighbors joined together to form electric cooperative to make certain they would not be deprived of the conveniences of electricity. For 80 years, Clark Energy Cooperative has provided light, heat, and many more comforts with just the flip of a switch to thousands of people in east central Kentucky.
On March 17, 1938, the Articles of Incorporation for Clark Rural Electric Cooperative Corporation were signed. In an office on Court Street in Winchester, Kentucky, the first meeting of the incorporation was called to order by J. Hughes Evans, who subsequently was chosen chairman. Other members present included E. Ward May, J. L. Skinner, Gerald W. Robinson, Alfa J. Ballard, Prewitt Davis, and Virgil Barnes.
The first membership meeting after incorporating was held August 20, 1938, with seven members present. The purpose of the meeting was to authorize construction and operation of electric transmission, distribution, and service facilities in Bourbon, Clark, Estill, Fayette, Madison, Montgomery, and Powell counties and to authorize borrowing $1.5 million from REA.
Clark’s first annual meeting was held January 5, 1939, and by March 2 of that year, the cooperative had 104 members.
Same Service . . . A New Name
The cooperative, which changed its name to Clark Energy Cooperative in 1998, now serves more than 26,000 meters in 11 counties. Its power supplier remains East Kentucky Power Cooperative, located in Winchester.
Also in 1998, Clark Energy became a part of the Touchstone Energy family of over 750 Touchstone Energy cooperatives in 46 states. This branding initiative enables us to offer more resources and bring added value to our members.